The PCO’S Mission Statement is to secure the protection of privacy of the individual with respect to personal data through promotion, monitoring and supervision of compliance with the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance.
The PCO's key goals are to ensure that:
· individuals are aware of their rights as data subjects under the Ordinance and how to exercise them;
· public and private sector organizations are aware of their obligations as data users under the Ordinance and how to meet them;
· individuals and public/private sector organizations are aware of the role of the PCO and how we can assist them;
· enquiries are responded to courteously and efficiently to the satisfaction of the enquirer;
· complaints are investigated and resolved efficiently in a manner that is fair to all parties concerned;
· all other jurisdictions with data protection laws are aware of the robustness of our law protecting the privacy of the individual with respect to personal data so as to obviate any interference in the free flow of personal data to Hong Kong.